Operation World has designated November 2-3 as specific days to pray for Spain. Here are some details to help fuel those prayers.
- About 5.6 million immigrants live in Spain, mostly from North Africa and Latin America.
- Spain has only had freedom of religion since 1978. The fastest growing religions in the country are Islam (4.8% annual growth) and Non-religious (4.7%). Spain has over 45 million people, but barely 400,000 Protestants. Only 14% of all young people describe themselves as religious. Within one generation, Spain may cease to be majority-Catholic and instead might be majority-Non-religious.
- Spain is one of the world’s heaviest users of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana. There are more than four times as many confessed drug users as there are Protestants. 15% of net household income is spent on gambling. Although Spain’s culture is very promiscuous, the country has one of the lowest birth rates in the world. Abortion and prostitution are common.
- There is no evangelical church in 345 cities with populations over 5,000 people. Of 8,112 municipalities, only 650 have an evangelical church. 30 of the 50 provinces in Spain have less than 1,000 members of evangelical churches.
- Muslims number over 2 million and are growing rapidly. The vast majority are from Morocco. South Spain is a key location for sharing the Gospel with Muslims.Pray for Muslim hearts to be opened and for believers in Spain to reach out in love.
(Quoted and summarized from Operation World, 7th ed. Jason Mandryk. pp 764-8.)