In honor of my dad, I decided to come up with a list of things I’ve learned from him. The hard part was narrowing it down to 27 things. I am so thankful that he’s been my dad for 27 years.
1. Work hard.
2. Be willing to stop work to help people.
3. Get involved at a good church and serve a lot.
4. Have people over.
5. Tell jokes and laugh.
6. God is real.
7. Kiss your wife, even in front of people.
8. God will take care of you, even financially.
9. Be patient with people, but stand up for what’s right when necessary.
10. Don’t have stupid friends.
11. Root for the Cardinals.
12. Consistent integrity.
13. Never borrow money for a car unless you’re a taxi driver.
14. Trust your kids and treat them with respect.
15. Be generous, but not in a showy way.
16. Fix your own house, car, and computer if you can.
17. Pay for quality work when you can’t do #16.
18. Teaching helps you learn.
19. Popularity today isn’t as important as integrity in the future.
20. Don’t be afraid to disappoint people. God is your judge.
21. Let the salesman do the talking.
22. Read good books.
23. Serve people, both in your town and across the world.
24. Sunday afternoons are for playing catch, going fishing, and cutting firewood.
25. Take care of your stuff.
26. It’s all right to cry.
27. Give gifts.