Quoted from “More Thoughts on Anxiety” by Paul Tautges:
…one of my ongoing battles with indwelling sin is in the area of anxiety.
- Anxiety is fear, which is the opposite of trusting God. I need the psalmist’s resolve (Psalm 56:3).
- Anxiety is the desire to know what we cannot know and to control what we cannot control. This is why it is accurate to say that anxiety is the opposite of faith (Matt 6:34).
- At the moment in which the emotion of anxiety seeks to take control of me I must rehearse trust-building truths about God. God has given me the ability to control my emotions.
- When I let anxiety control me then it hinders my obedience to God in other areas, such as Romans 12:10.
- God’s prescription for anxiety is thankful prayer (Phil 4:6-7). When I choose to be thankful to God—and look for, and name, specific reasons—my focus is directed to God and, therefore, away from myself.
(thanks to John Knight for sharing this)